We sincerely believe in a work/life balance — this often feels like lip service, but we take it seriously.
• Friday night, 9:00. You’re invited to leave Sunday for a 3-day bike tour through the desert.
• You win out-of-state concert tickets, but you need to leave like right now to make it in time.
• The local shelter just posted some puppies, and you’re leaving immediately to adopt one.
• Have you ever taken a guilt-free four-hour lunch?
• Let’s admit it: Sometimes you simply don’t feel like working.
These are all true reasons some of us have stepped away from work, and it’s never required anything more than a courtesy update to teammates: “Here’s a quick update on my workload, everything’s taken care of, and I’ll be unavailable until _____.” That’s the honest reality at HQ.
What matters is producing great work and making clients happy. That almost never requires anyone to come into the office (though we love having the team in the office, and some of us prefer working there). You truly never need to ask permission to leave, work at home, go on vacation, etc. Doing great work is the only requirement.
“So, as it turns out, unless you're a young child or a prison inmate, you don't need anyone supervising you. People just come in and do their work on their schedule. Imagine that. People like us allowed to [work]. Unsupervised. And yet, somehow it works.” - Jim Halpert